So you have prepared yourself for this day. Great! It’s a wonderful time to be an excellent teacher. It feels good when you know that your teaching efforts is going to make a contribution in society and shaping the minds of tomorrow’s leaders and innovators.
But before you begin your journey as a teacher, its important to remember a few basic things that will strengthen your capability as you make the move into this new phase of your teaching career.
Tips for New Teachers
- Have clear goals and a big vision for students to learn and achieve at high levels
- Deny yourself and students the option of failure
- Celebrate successes and reward students with activities that enhance their learning
- Learn and grow every day
- Kick start students’ thinking by beginning class with a provocative statement
- Use students’ strengths in knowledge and behavior to help them learn
- Incorporate into your lessons physical and social activities as well as intellectual activities
- Consider joining a mentor program or teacher’s union
- Share with students the strategies you use yourself
- Be flexible and respond to students’ learning needs